Shrimp and Crab Gumbo
photo by Deb G
- Ready In:
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 slices bacon, diced
- 2 cups finely chopped onions
- 1 1⁄2 cups finely chopped green bell peppers (about 1 large)
- 4 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup water
- 2 (14 ounce) cans fat-free low-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 2 teaspoons cajun seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 (16 ounce) bag frozen cut okra, thawed
- 1 lb peeled and deveined medium shrimp
- 2 (6 ounce) cans lump crabmeat, drained (such as Chicken of the Sea)
- 3 cups hot cooked long-grain rice
- hot pepper sauce (optional)
- Place flour in a small skillet; cook 5 minutes over medium heat or until flour is brown, stirring constantly. Place in a small bowl; cool.
- Cook bacon in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat 3 minutes. Add onion, bell pepper, celery, and garlic; sauté 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender and lightly browned. Add water, and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Combine toasted flour and 1 can of chicken broth in a medium bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Gradually pour broth mixture into pan. Stir in remaining can of chicken broth, Cajun seasoning, 1/2 teaspoon salt, crushed red pepper, and cut okra; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes.
- Add shrimp; cook 3 minutes or until shrimp are done. Gently stir in crabmeat. Remove from heat; serve gumbo over rice. Serve with hot pepper sauce, if desired.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Delicious. I was skeptical of a gumbo with no roux, but this worked perfectly. I too added the can of tomatoes, and because I'm a gumbo purist, I added about 1 tsp of file powder at the end. I left out the pepper flakes so my kids would eat it, but I added plenty of hot sauce to my own bowl. It really was superb. I will make this one again!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I am a wife, mother and nurse. I have 2 boys born in 2002 and 2003. I love to cook and try to make something new at least once a week.The picture is my little boy Luke taking pictures of his dinner like mommy. I have really enjoyed posting pictures and will try to improve and do it more often. <br /><img src=http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e78/lmillerrn/LukeSamDad.jpg/IMG alt= /> <img src=http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e78/lmillerrn/engagementpicture.jpg/IMG alt= /> <br /><br /><br /><br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/beartag_1_1.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /> <br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/adopted_1_1.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /> <br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><img src=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/FFF/completedbanner.gif alt= /> <br /><br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/FinishedJollyRoger_1.jpg border=0 alt=Image /> <br />[IMG]http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e78/lmillerrn/FemCrewnamescomplete.jpg[/IMG] <br /><br /><a href=http://photobucket.com target=_blank><img src=http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e78/lmillerrn/FemCrewnamescomplete.jpg border=0 alt=Photo /></a> <br /><img src=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/World%20Tour/ZWT2.gif alt= /> <br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/untitled.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /> <br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/200_artistrichardneuman-art-prints_.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /> <br /><img src=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/FFF/Switzerland-FFF4.gif alt= /> <br /><br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/200_PACpic.jpg border=0 alt=Photo /> <br /><br /><br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/pacbanner.jpg border=0 alt=Photo /> <br /><br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/Adopted1smp.jpg border=0 alt=Photo /> <br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/smPACp.jpg border=0 alt=Photo /></p>