Rhubarb Chickpea Chuck
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 30mins
- 3 - 3 1⁄2 lbs boneless beef chuck steaks (one inch thick)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 (398 ml) can garbanzo beans (chick peas)
- 1 (284 ml) can condensed tomato soup
- 2 cups chopped rhubarb
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1 -2 garlic clove, minced
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- Cut steak into serving pieces.
- Melt butter in dutch oven or roaster on top of stove& brown steak on both sides.
- Remove steak.
- Combine remaining ingredients in pan, heat& stir to dissolve buillion cube.
- Add steaks, cover& cook slowly for about 3 hours in 350 F oven or until meat is tender.
- Turn meat occasionally during cooking.
- Serve with mashed potatoes or slices of rye or French bread.
- I usually make this in the crockpot.
- I brown the steak first then cook on low for 8 to 8 1/2 hours on Low.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I just had to find out how this unlikely combination of ingredients would come out. The meat was indeed tender and the sauce wonderfully flavored. I skipped the butter and substituted Splenda for the sugar but otherwise followed the ingredients list. I too, used the crockpot on high for about 3 hours. I then wrapped the meat up and chilled the sauce to congeal the fat. If only I had stopped there. I decided the sauce was thin and not very pleasant looking so I processed it until smooth and then reheated everything. Well, it was too thick and much too intense atop the mashed potatoes. Should you decide to thicken the sauce and improve its appearance at all I recommend you do so by processing or blending just a portion of it.