Pollo Con Mole Poblano - Chicken in Mole Sauce
Serve this famous Mexican dish with serve the dish with rice, homemade pork tamales, picadillo, flour tortillas, and a salad of tossed greens and tomatoes. From Texas Highways.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 4 -5 lbs frying chicken, cut up in serving pieces (you can also use turkey or pheasant)
- oil, for frying
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups tomatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
- 3⁄4 cup green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder (store bought, your own recipe or $notetemplate1$)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons light corn syrup (Karo)
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup chopped almonds
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red chili peppers or 1 pinch ground cloves
- Heat a shallow layer of oil in a very large skillet, or use two skillets.
- Brown chicken in oil on both sides; add water to cover and simmer 30 minutes.
- While chicken is cooking, make the sauce by placing all remaining ingredients (except bay leaf) in a blender and processing until smooth.
- When chicken is done, drain broth and reserve.
- Add 1 to 1 1/2 cup of broth to sauce.
- Blend, pour over chicken in skillet, add bay leaf, and cook on low heat for 35 more minutes.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION