Perfect Shrimp Cocktail
photo by Timothy F.
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 15mins
6-7 Shrimp each
For the Shrimp
- weigh your fresh peeled, extra large raw shrimp (or thawed, 26-30/lb)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dill weed or 1/4 teaspoon dill seed
- 7 cloves
For the Sauce
- 3 ounces Heinz Chili Sauce
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons hot horseradish (more if you like it spicier)
- juice of half a lemon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon wasabi (optional)
- Add to a large enough pot double the weight of water you observed when weighing shrimp.
- Add all the dry ingredients and place pot on heat. Bring to a boil for 1 minute.
- Add shrimp, place lid on pan and immediately remove from heat. Allow shrimp to steep in the "tea" for 12 minutes.
- Strain and chill shrimp for 1 hour, removing any large spices and herbs.
- Mix sauce ingredients together until smooth.
- Place sauce in cocktail glasses and arrange shrimp around the rim, serve.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Foodie, Joker, world traveller. Intimate with the process of cooking in many cultures and styles. Lover of music and times with Frau, friends and family. Einen guten appetit!