Mennonite Traditional Baked Beans
photo by Tinkerbell
- Ready In:
- 12hrs 30mins
- 2 cups dried navy beans (or Great Northern beans)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 small bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 ham bone
- 1 cup cooked ham, diced
- 2 cups tomato juice (may need more or less)
- Put beans in a large saucepan, pour in enough water to cover. Soak beans overnight.
- Drain beans, return to pan and add 3-4 cups fresh water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cook until skins wrinkle; about 30 minutes.
- In large covered roaster, combine salt, bay leaf, dry mustard, brown sugar, onion, ham bone and diced ham.
- Drain beans and add to roaster.
- Pour enough tomato juice over beans, just to cover.
- Cover roaster and bake at 300°F for 4 hours, adding additional tomato juice or water, as necessary.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Hi! I am happily married with two children, 26 and 12. For nearly 10 years when this site was Recipezaar and then Food.com I hosted several different forums. I enjoyed making, creating, reviewing, and photographing recipes, but what I miss the most are the friendships I made here. I was Food Editor for the Mill Creek View Newspaper in Mill Creek, WA. for about 4 years during that time. Currently I am the office manager at a small mental health clinic. I'm not on this site much anymore, but I do continue to appreciate and respond to all reviews posted to my recipes.