- Ready In:
- In a large bowl, combine oatmeal, flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Cut in butter until crumbly.
- Spread 3/4 of the crumbs in a 9 x 13 inch cake pan.
- Mix dates, water and sugar together in a saucepan.
- Cook until thick, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat and add lemon juice.
- Allow to cool before using.
- Spread over the crumbs in the pan.
- Sprinkle the remaining crumbs over top of the filling.
- Bake at 350 degrees F.
- for 20 minutes.
Made this last night for dessert. Was looking for any easy recipe its one of my wife's favorite cake. I fondly remember my mother making this as well. I made it as the recipe calls for except I screwed up and added the lemon at step six. Still it tasted great. Tastes even better the next day and the next. Thank you Bohod
I have eaten this square all my life but I had never make it since that was my mom's specialty. It is one of my favorite squares. I really liked this recipe. Easy to put together and nice that it made a 9x13 pan. The only thing I did different was to double the date filling. I found that was perfect for what I was accustomed to. I will be making this again. It will be on my holiday tray as well. Great recipe, thanks!