Guilt-Free Alfredo Sauce
photo by ColCadsMom
- Ready In:
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried chili pepper flakes, to taste (optional)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 cups nonfat milk or 2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1 cup fat-free chicken broth
- 4 tablespoons flour (for a thinner sauce use 3 tablespoons)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese (can use more)
- In a small skillet heat oil over medium heat; add in onion and saute for about 10 minutes or until lightly browned; add in the garlic and chili flakes the last 2 minutes of cooking (the onions must be lightly browned!).
- In a heavy-bottomed saucepan whisk/stir together milk, chicken broth, flour and black pepper over low heat until smooth, thickened and heated though.
- Add the the onion/garlic mixture to the prepared sauce; mix until heated through.
- Add/mix in Parmesan cheese and season with salt if desired.
- Serve over cooked pasta.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Very yummy sauce and there's no way anyone would guess that it's low fat! Bursting with flavor! I have kids who aren't fond of onion so I only used about 1/4 of a cup and only about 1/2 tsp of the chili pepper flakes. We served it over a meat ravioli and I think next time I will try it a little thinner.
Wow! This sauce is so very yummy and decadent no one will believe (or care) that it is low fat! It's quick and easy to make, and thickens up beautifully every time. I also add a dash of nutmeg and like it tossed with whole wheat egg noodles and french green beans or asparagus. Also delicious with some shrimp or chicken tossed in. Have thrown out all other alfredo recipes, this on is my keeper!
I made this recipe exactly as written with one deviation; I added fresh baby spinach. This recipe is quite good. It has a good consistency; not runny and not gloppy- a nice middle of the road consistency. The flavor was quite good, but next time I will add a bit more black pepper as a personal preference.
see 3 more reviews
TEN stars! Kitten, this was absolutely excellent! I will never buy the jarred stuff again. Boyfriend is super picky when it comes to the low fat stuff and he loved it. I didn't change a thing except for using cornstarch instead of flour. I served it over rotini with Mizz Nezz's garlic shrimp and it was a wonderful meal. The sauce was incredibly thick, creamy and full of flavor. Thanks!!!!