Jane's Vegetarian Chili
- Ready In:
8 1-1/2 cups
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups water, divided
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons vegetarian worcestershire sauce
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained (garbanzo beans)
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (16 ounce) can cannellini beans or (16 ounce) can other white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; sauté 3 minutes or until tender.
- Add 3 cups water and next 8 ingredients (through cannellini beans), stirring to combine.
- Combine remaining cup of water and tomato paste in a bowl, stirring with a whisk until blended. Stir tomato paste mixture into bean mixture.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
- Ladle soup into bowls.
- Top with cheese, if desired.
- The prep time is estimated from how long it takes to chop 1-2 onions, open all those cans and mix up the tomato paste & water mixture.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!