photo by Izy Hossack
- Ready In:
- 1hr 34mins
- 1 cup long-grain rice, uncooked
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped (may substitute red bell pepper)
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1 -3 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped (based on your heat tolerance)
- 2 (16 1/2 ounce) cans cream-style corn
- 1 cup mild cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- green pepper rings, cherry tomatoes, fresh chopped parsley or cilantro
- Cook the rice according to the package directions; set the rice aside.
- Saute onion, garlic, bell pepper, and celery in the melted butter in a large skillet until the vegetables are tender.
- Combine the reserved rice and sauteed vegetables in a large bowl. Add the jalapeno peppers, corn, cheese, and sugar. Stir well.
- Spoon the corn mixture into a lightly greased, shallow 2 quart casserole. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 to 45 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Garnish, if desired.