Guinness Banana Nut Bread
photo by Rita1652
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 cups Guinness stout (for Vegans try this sight http ( or or homepage.ntlworld.com or geraint.bevan or Vegetarian_beers.ht)
- 2 cups broken walnuts, toasted
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon finely grated fresh ginger or 1 tablespoon candied ginger
- powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 cup oats, replaces 1/2 cup of flour with Irish steel cut oats. I just spun them in the food processor with the
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease two 9 x 5-inch loaf pans.
- In a large bowl cream the brown sugar, banana, eggs, vanilla and oil; set aside.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, allspice, cardamom and cloves.
- Alternately blend the flour mixture and the beer into the creamed mixture.
- Stir in the walnuts, raisins, chocolate chips, and ginger to the mixture and blend well.
- Pour into the prepared pans.
- Bake for 1 hour or until toothpick inserted in cake comes out clean.
- Leave in pan for 15 minutes to cool before turning out to cool completely on rack. Plate and dust with sugar.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Lovely banana bread! This recipe saved the day. I started making bran muffins this morning at 7am and after I had mixed together the flour, 2 t. cinnamon, 2 t. baking soda and 1 c. sugar, I realized that I did not have any bran. So the search began for another recipe and I came across this one; I had most of the ingredients so only had to make a few changes. Since I had already added a greater amount of cinnamon, I reduced the other spices to 1/4 t. each based on some of the other reviews. I then used 1 c. brown sugar since I had already stirred in 1 c. granulated sugar. I only had Guinness draught. I used 2 bananas (almost 1 cup). I stirred in 2 generous tablespoons of chopped candied ginger, 1/2 c. dark chocolate chips and 1/2 c. chopped semi-sweet chocolate, 1 c. chopped toasted pecans and 1 c. raisins. I then baked it in a bundt pan for 1 hour. My husband declared this a winner! Thanks for the recipe.
I echo Dom and Amanda here. This is the most delicious banana bread that's ever come out of my kitchen. My DH was swooning over it. It's absolutely gorgeous: dark, rich, with the essential flavours of chocolate, spices, and Guinness in perfect balance. I cut back the cinnamon to 1 tsp and the cardamom to 1/2 tsp and I'll continue to use it that way. My flour was a blend of white and whole wheat. Oh, and I used candied ginger and was rather generous with it, cutting in maybe 3 tbsp. The batter was very runny and I worried about that, but it baked beautifully in 1 hour. Thanks so much for your posting, Rita!
Rita, this came out awesome! We love it!!! The only changes I will make next time will be to reduce the cloves to 1/4 tsp. and the cardamom to 1/2 tsp. as we felt the spices were a bit overpowering. But still, delicious! The recipe is really simple to follow and the loaves came out of the pans easily. Thanks for posting. I will definitely be making this again.