Greek Fried Eggplant (Aubergine) (Melitzanes Tiganites)
- Ready In:
- For Fritter Batter: Sift 1 cup plain flour and a pinch of salt into a bowl.
- Add 1 egg yolk, 1 tablespoon oil and 3/4 cup lukewarm water.
- Beat until smooth.
- Let stand for 10 minutes then fold in stiffly beaten egg white. Use immediately.
- Wash and dry eggplant. I place paper towels over and under the eggplant to soak up all the liquid. Just keep changing them for a while until they quit getting really wet.
- Cut into 1/4 inch slices and spread out on trays.
- Sprinkle with salt and leave for 1 hour.
- Pat dry with paper towels and coat with flour or fritter batter. I like the fritter batter.
- Shallow fry in hot oil until golden brown and crisp on each side - 10 minutes in all.
- Drain on paper towel and serve hot with Garlic Sauce (optional).
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I went to school in Montreal and there was this restaurant on St. Laurent called Mezze that served the BEST fried eggplant appetizer and tzatziki sauce I had ever had. Being so far from there now, this really satisfied my craving for just that. I loved the fritter batter (I added a pinch of cayenne and paprika to it) but I thinned it out with a couple tbsps of water. My eggplant cooked faster, more like 5 mins total. Thanks for posting this wonderful food memory!
EXCELLENT fritter batter for fried melitzanes. It was simple to make mixture, dip eggplants, and fry. I will use this technique from now on, instead of just egg/flour wash I use to make. Greekgal, thanks for posting, as it made our appy so much tastier. P.S. I also topped with your skorthalia ~ YUMMO !!!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I love cooking Greek, but I have an American cookbook from the late 30s that I simply love. My Greek cookbooks are important to me since for many years the Greek ladies did not openly share their recipes. Their secret ingredient was coveted and they actually waited for the compliments. It took hours to prepare, so praise was important. Every holiday was a real focal point in my life because it involved the entire family and wonderful food. I love being served something that is fantastic and getting the recipe for it. Making friends feel special in my home is very important to me. <br /><br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/untitled.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting /></p>