German Blitz Torte
- Ready In:
1 2 layer cake
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) betty crocker butter recipe cake mix (or your favorite yellow cake mix. Change the ingredients, measurements accordingly)
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 3⁄4 cup sugar, plus
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 (5 1/8 ounce) box jell-o vanilla instant pudding mix
- 2 1⁄2 cups cold milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour 2 (9-inch) round cake pans, tapping out the excess flour, and set aside.
- To make cake, beat cake mix, water, butter and eggs in a large bowl on low speed 30 seconds, then on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Divide the mixture evenly between the 2 pans.
- To make the topping, combine the pecans, 1 tablespoons of the sugar, and the cinnamon with a spoon, in a small bowl. Set aside. Wash and dry the beaters well to remove any traces of the cake batter. In a separate large bowl, whip the egg whites until they form stiff peaks. Add the remaining 3/4 cup of sugar gradually and beat until the meringue is glossy. Divide the meringue evenly, and spread it over the cake batter in each pan. Spread the pecan mixture evenly over the meringue in each pan.
- Bake the layers until a toothpick place in the center comes out clean, about 28-33 minutes. Let cool completely in the pans on wire racks.
- To make the filling, beat pudding and milk for 2 minutes. Pudding will set in 5 minutes. Chill until ready to use.
- To assemble the cake, invert the cake layers onto the wire racks and then immediately turn the layers right side up. Place one layer on a cake plate. Spread the pudding over it, then place the second layer on top. You will not be applying pudding mixture onto the top layer. Cover with plastic, refrigerate until ready to serve.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!