Favorite Chicken Thighs
photo by ImPat
- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken thighs (or drumsticks)
- 1 lime
- 1⁄2 cup soy sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger (or 1 tsp ground ginger)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch (for gravy) (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup water (for gravy) (optional)
- Remove skin from chicken thighs and discard (if using drumsticks I leave skin on).
- Place chicken in baking pan.
- Grate lime rind over chicken.
- Cut lime in half and squeeze juice over chicken.
- Add soy sauce, garlic, red pepper flakes, ginger, olive oil and cinnamon.
- Turn chicken to coat both sides with marinade.
- Refrigerate for one hour.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Place chicken in oven and bake for 30-45 minutes.
- To serve with gravy.
- Combine 1 T cornstarch with 1/2 cup water.
- Add to pan and stir to mix well.
- Heat on stove over med heat until mixture thickens.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I thought I had already written a review, but apparently I didn't. <br/>This recipe was a wonderful surprise! I had my nieces and one of my nephews over (7,8,10) and they are the pickiest eaters ever-and they don't like the same things. I was SHOCKED when all three of them devoured these, even with the little bit of spice on it. I made them with chicken drumsticks, skin on, so the kids could pull it off and take down the spice a notch if they wanted. I made 10 total, in addition to a pizza and some roasted pork (again- pickiest kids ever- I always have to have more than 1 thing or someone will refuse to eat), and everything else was more or less untouched. More left overs for me and the hubby, but still! We also thought this recipe was great for us. <br/><br/>Forced alterations, which turned out great:<br/>I didn't make gravy, and I substituted all spice for ginger as I discovered I was out mid-cooking.
My picky family really liked this recipe. We all liked the lime/ginger flavor, and we just loved the red pepper flakes. In fact, we may use more pepper next time. I will use a little less soy sauce, though, because I thought it was a little salty. I didn't make the gravy - didn't need it. Thanks for sharing, ellie2.
These were good, a little hotter than we like. Another time I would cut way down on the pepper flakes . Really like the lime flavour and I think the red pepper overpowered it. I think the garlic, ginger and cinnamon is enough, and a good combination, giving a lot of flavour. I served it without the gravy, may try the gravy next time. Thanks for sharing.
see 19 more reviews
I kept the chicken in marinade longer than an hour, which gave the chicken a more time to kind of brine the flavors in without being drowned out by such a flavorful gravy. Instead of cinnamon I added Chinese 5 spice, which I thought was an enhancer of the pepper flakes. I made this for my wife and son, who both loved the results. If it were a dish for two I will add more heat, like chili paste or siracha sauce along with just a dash of sesame oil. I served with linguine which made for a great noodle based dish.