Dehydrator Tomato Meat Sauce
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 1 cup dried tomatoes, slices (about 20)
- 2 tablespoons dried bell peppers
- 2 tablespoons dried onion
- 2 tablespoons dried mushroom pieces
- 1 tablespoon dried celery powder
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 1⁄2 cups water, divided
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried fennel
- 1⁄2 cup dried tomato powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green olives
- With your hands, crush the cold dried tomato slices. In a bowl, combine the crushed tomatoes with the next 6 ingredients. Pour in 3 cups of the water and let the mixture sit for 15 minutes to rehydrate.
- In a skillet, brown the beef and drain off any excess fat. Add the salt, basil, oregano, and the fennel, and stir in the rehydrated tomato mixture, including the liquid. Simmer the sauce over low heat, stirring occasionally, for at least 30 minutes, adding more water, if necessary, if the sauce becomes too thick.
- When the sauce has just about finished cooking, combine the tomato powder in the remaining 1/2 cup water, add the sugar and pepper and stir to combine. Let sit for 10 minutes.
- Add the rehydrated tomato powder to the meat sauce and simmer the sauce slowly for at least 10 minutes. Just before serving, stir in the olives. Serve over hot pasta, with grated Parmesan cheese.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm a graphic artist, living in beautiful Fort Worth, TX. Next to my love of music, cooking and trying new recipes, I am involved in animal rescue. I currently have 2 rescued Brussels Griffons, 2 foster Griffs and 3 funny parrots. I maintain a store on Cafe Press to raise funds to pay for vet bills for our rescued Brussels Griffons. Please visit our store at http://cafepress.com/griffy_rescue or our main rescue site at http://brusselsgriffonrescue.org <img src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/annacia/Permanent%20Banners/cc-banner-7-09.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/participantbannerzwt5.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/79877/hklogosm.jpg"> ZWT5 was my first, and I loved it. We had a great team. <img src="http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/79877/hkban.jpg"> My current ZWT5 team banner for the first leg. <img src="http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/79877/HKBIKE2.jpg"> We started out nice! A Hell's Kitchen Angel's graphic I made for our second leg. Things started to heat up! <img src="http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/79877/hkbanknives.jpg"> By the end, we were HOT! The banner for our last leg with all our team members! What a blast! <img src="http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/Permanent%20Collection/PACSpring09Iwasadopted.jpg"><img src="http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/Permanent%20Collection/PACSpring09Participation.jpg"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/IWasAdoptedfall08.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a132/tgifford/Game%20Room%20Banners/AM%20Banners/potluckpbanner.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"><img src="http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj81/HokiesLady65/Recipezaar%20Album/iplaytagin.jpg"> <img src="http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r317/j_welcome/pics2/food/PRMRcopy.jpg">