Crema De Aguacate -- Cream of Avocado Soup (South America)
photo by TasteTester
- Ready In:
- In a heavy 2-quart saucepan mix together the chicken broth, half-and-half, onion, salt, white pepper & hot pepper sauce.
- Several hours before serving, peel the avocado, then pit & cut it into 1-inch pieces. Place in a medium, nonreactive bowl. sprinkle with lemon juice, then cover with plastic wrap & refrigerate until ready to use.
- Just before serving, put 1/4 cup of the chicken broth mixture in a blender.
- Bring the rest of the broth mixture to a boil in the 2-quart saucepan, then reduce heat to low.
- Add avocado to the blender & process until smooth, then pass this mixture through a coarse-mesh sieve.
- Add the sieved avocado mixture to the simmering broth & heat, BUT DO NOT LET IT COME TO A BOIL. Salt to taste.
- Serve immediately with croutons (if using) on the side, or make it several hours ahead of time, cover with plastic wrap & let it cool, then chill completely before serving.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
My first time trying alvocodo soup, and it's different but delish! I think I'm going to make it for St. Patty's Day this year for something new. I did add some extra salt and hot sauce and I used 2 small alvocados instead of one large. Like TasteTester, I put the final product through the sieve and it came out creamy and smooth. Thanks for posting!
Everything about this recipe is perfect -- the taste, the spices, the proportions. The little dash of hot sauce added a very subtle tang to the soup -- it complemented the cream and avocado very well. This soup is silky smooth (thanks to putting the pureed ingredients through the sieve, which trapped every tiny little bit of grated onion or avocado piece that didn't get 100% pureed in the blender), and has a rich but balanced flavor. Such sinful goodness -- can't wait to share this with friends. A 10-star recipe in my book!