Cornmeal-Crusted Fried Chicken
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup cornmeal
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon dry southwest seasoning
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 lbs chicken pieces (breasts, legs and thighs)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees; place rack in jellyroll pan.
- In medium bowl, beat egg with milk; reserve.
- In separate shallow bowl, mix cornmeal, flour, seasonings, salt and pepper; reserve.
- Add enough oil to large, deep skillet to come up 1 inch; heat to 350 degrees on deep-frying thermometer.
- Meanwhile, coat chicken pieces with egg mixture, letting excess drip off, then coat with cornmeal mixture; place on sheet of wax paper.
- Fry chicken in batches, turning once, until golden, 3-4 minutes per side.
- Drain on paper towels; transfer to rack in jellyroll plan.
- Bake until chicken is no longer pink near bone, about 35 minutes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I want to thank all of you who review the recipes I post - good or bad. It's always good to get feedback and helpful tips and I really appreciate them all! I try to send a note when someone reviews one of my recipes, but I don't always get the chance. Please know that I really enjoy reading the reviews. I also love all the photos everyone posts, too! Thanks so much. Happy Cooking!