Coq Au Vin for Two
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 2 slices bacon
- 2 pieces chicken (i use boneless thighs but you can use any cut)
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt substitute
- 6 white pearl onions, blanched and skinned
- 4 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1⁄4 cup red wine
- 1⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- Mix the flour, poultry seasoning. and salt substitute in a plastic bag. put chicken in, shake to coat. Set aside.
- In a small container, mix the wine, broth, thyme, and paprika. Set aside.
- In a frying pan, cook the bacon until crisp. Do not drain the fat. remove bacon, let cool, and crumble. save the bacon bits for later.
- Braise the chicken in the frying pan until well browned on all sides. if necessary (and it should be), add butter as bacon fat gets absorbed by the flour coating. Remove chicken to baking dish.
- Put mushrooms, onions, and bacon bits into frying pan. Saute until mushrooms are soft and onions are slightly browned.
- Pour in the wine/broth mixture. De-glaze the bottom of the frying pan to get all the yummy bits from the bottom of the pan. Cook while stirring until liquid is reduced by half.
- Pour mixture from pan over the chicken in the baking dish.
- Bake at 325 for 45 minutes.
- Serve over egg noodles or rice.
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!