photo by jpatel02004
- Ready In:
- 2 tilapia fillets
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup cornstarch
- 1 1⁄2 cups coconut flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons curry sauce (can be bought in stores or can be made by combining coconut milk and green curry powder)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1⁄4 teaspoon lime juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 pinch ginger
- 1 pinch sage
- 1⁄4 teaspoon brown sugar (optional)
- In a wide bowl/container, mix coconut flakes, curry powder, garlic powder, paprika (set aside).
- In a small bowl, mix 1 egg, 1/4 cup water and 1/3 cup of corn starch.
- Dip the Tilapia fillets in the egg mixture. Use a plastic bag to cover your hands when handling fillets, if preferred. Coat the fillets thoroughly with the coconut flake mixture, especially along the top, as this dramatically improves the appearance of the dish while baking.
- Bake the Tilapia fillets at 350 degrees for about 12-14 minutes (or however long until the fish is fully white). Use cooking spray or butter the pan so the fish does not stick.
- While the Tilapia is baking, make the peanut sauce. Mix all of the ingredients listed above. Vary ingredient amounts to your liking. Cool or set aside until the Tilapia is ready.
- Broil the fillets for a few minutes until golden.
- Serve the fillets on a plate and scoop the peanut sauce on the side.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Delicious and I loved that it is baked rather than fried! I did not make the sauce so can only comment on the tilapia. The breading bakes up light, crispy, crunchy, and nicely flavored. The coconut flavor shines, but the curry notes add a nice touch. That said, the ingredient amounts are excessive as posted. I breaded six -4 oz filets and still had lots to pile on top of the fish. Next time (and there will be a next time) I will also line the pan with foil to make clean up easier. Thank you for sharing the recipe!