Classic Beef Stroganoff
According to legend, this recipe was invented by a chef working for a Russian General, Count Pavel Stroganov in the 1890's. Beef Stroganoff is basically tender strips of beef and mushrooms, cooked in a creamy sauce and rounded off with sour cream. You may want to make this with a tender cut of beef, such as tenderloin or top sirloin. Traditionally served over egg noodles, it also tastes delicious on rice or spaetzle.
- Ready In:
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 lb top sirloin steaks or 1 lb tenderloin, cut in very thin strips
- 1⁄2 lb cremini mushrooms or 1/2 lb button mushroom
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup sour cream or 1 cup creme fraiche
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1⁄2 cup beef broth
- salt and pepper
- chopped parsley
- Cut the beef in very thin strips. The easiest way to do that is to put the meat in the freezer until slightly frozen. Add salt and pepper and 1 TBS oil to the beef strips and mix together.
- Melt 3 TBS butter and 1 TBS oil in a large skillet on medium heat. Increase heat and add strips of beef. You want to cook the beef quickly, browning it on each side. You may need to work in batches.When both sides are brown, remove the beef into a bowl and set aside while keeping warm.
- Add remaining butter and oil to the pan and saute the onions until golden, add the sliced mushrooms and cook for a few minutes, allowing them to soak up the pan drippings.
- Add the flour and continue stirring, add the broth and let it simmer until the sauce has thickened and the floury taste is cooked out. Stir in the lemon zest, lemon juice and mustard, add salt and pepper to taste.
- Put the meat back in the sauce, heat through and add 1/2 a cup of sour cream, do not let the sauce cook anymore otherwise it will curdle.
- Serve on egg noodles, topped with a dollop of sour cream and garnish with chopped parsley. Enjoy!
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Classic Beef Stroganoff or Bef Stroganoff is made with beef tenderloin, shallots, onions, mushrooms, beef stock, flour, salt and pepper Dijon mustard, and sour cream. It was traditionally served with shoe string french fried potatoes and green peas. The addition of noodles or rice is later adaptations.Reply
worked o.k.....always a choice of ingredients........got sirloin at a good price and used that after partially freezing it so I could julianne it. Prefer Breakstone's sour cream and like to soak wood's mushrooms from Hungary and then add the noodles to the panliquid, supplementing it with beef broth and mushroom liquor. Lemon and mustard flavors should be incrementalized, and thought given to how salty the dish is. Great leftovers btw.Reply