Classic Beef Stroganoff
- Ready In:
- 1 lb beef sirloin steak, 1/2 inch thick
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup margarine or 1/4 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups beef broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups sour cream
- 3 cups cooked egg noodles
- Cut beef across grain into about 1 1/2 X 1/2 inch strips.
- Cook mushrooms, onions & garlic in margarine in 10 inch skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally until onions are tender, remove from skillet.
- Cook beef in same skillet until brown, I usually add more butter before cooking.
- Stir in 1 cup of the broth, salt and worcestershire sauce.
- Heat to boiling, reduce heat.
- Cover & simmer 15 minutes.
- Stir remaining 1/2 cup broth into flour and mix, then stir into beef mixture.
- Add onion mixture; heat to boiling, stirring constantly.
- Boil and stir 1 mintute.
- Stir in sour cream, heat until hot - DO NOT Boil. (You may not use all the sour cream just add gradually.).
- Serve over hot egg noodles.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This recipe was very tasty. I did not add mushrooms and as always, added more garlic (3 cloves). The only problem I had with the recipe was that towards the end of the simmering, the liquid was almost gone, so when I added the flour/broth mixture, I had to also add even more broth than the recipe called for. I also felt that 1 1/2 cups of sour cream was too much so I only did 1/2 cup. Overall the taste was great. The meat was pretty tender and everything went great with buttered egg noodles. Thanks for the recipe!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Live in NC with my family which includes my hubby, 2 girls & our family dog. I am a SAHM & a birth doula. I love coming to the Zaar & searching for new recipes to try & test out on the family!