I am surprised a recipe for this hasn't already been posted. Dopiaza is a medium strength curry that contains double (!!!) the amount of onions than typically found in other curry recipes. It is a great recipe for the onion lovers!
- Ready In:
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoon curry
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon hot curry (optional)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 4 onions (2 rustically sliced & 2 sliced into thin wedges)
- 2 chicken breasts, sliced into small pieces
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 (12 ounce) cans chopped tomatoes with juice
- In a large wok style pan place the oil, curry, garam masala, hot curry (if using) cinnamon and cumin.
- Over a low flame, heat spices 1 to 2 minutes, to allow the flavors to blend (don't allow mixture to smoke).
- Add onions and saute over low flame until the onions are translucent (about 5 to 8 minutes).
- Remove onions from pan with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add sliced chicken and garlic to the pan, along with salt & pepper to taste.
- Saute chicken 5 to 7 minutes.
- Mix in the reserved onions, chicken broth and the chopped tomatoes with juice.
- Bring to a low simmer and cook, uncovered 10 to 12 minutes, or until sauce is slightly reduced and thickens.
- Serve along side Basmati rice and fresh naan.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
A winning combination of onions, chicken and seasonings. Your photos beckoned me, the incredible taste won me over. Loved the extra punch the Hot Curry added. I won't change a thing when making it for family but will likely use just a touch of the hot curry for guests ... unless I am sure they are as fond of hot foods as am I! Thank you for a new taste experience!Reply
see 4 more