Beer-Battered Fried Shrimp
- Ready In:
- Butterfly the cleaned shrimp so that they will look larger: hold them so that the underside is up; slice down its length, almost to the vein, to form the hinge.
- Spread and flatten to form the butterfly shape.
- Make a batter by mixing together the flour, beer, egg, sugar, and salt.
- Use a deep fryer and heat a few inches of peanut oil to 375*F.
- Dip the shrimp into the batter and fry until golden brown; drain on paper towels.
- Serve hot.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This shrimp is very tasty and would have gotten 5 stars except that I had trouble with the technique. The batter didn't want to stick to the shrimp, so I tried dipping, frying, draining and dipping again and frying....that worked but it was a lot of work. I then tried dredging the shrimp in flour, dipping in batter and frying and that worked much better. Don't expect a thick coating of batter, these shrimp are light and crisp and very good. We had these with sweet chilli sauce as a dip. Thanks JDG, good recipe!