Bacon and Stilton Salad
photo by Queen Dana
- Ready In:
- 12 slices smoked bacon, cut into bite size pieces
- 2 ounces butter
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 thick slices bread, crusts removed, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 ounces Stilton cheese, crumbled
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 4 1⁄2 tablespoons light cream
- black pepper
- mixed salad green
- Cook the bacon in a pan for 7-8 minutes or until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on absorbent paper.
- Add the butter to the pan and melt. Add the garlic and bread and cook for 3-4 minutes until crisp and golden. Drain on absorbent paper.
- Mix the cheese and mayonnaise together. Stir in the cream and black pepper. Beat well to blend.
- Mix the salad leaves, bacon and croutons together. Place on serving plates, top with the dressing and serve.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Yum! I loved this salad. So simple but so flavorful. I used a hickory smoked bacon which gave a nice flavor with the Stilton. I almost was going to use croutons that I already had on hand but am so glad that I made the ones here instead. I'd give you 10-stars just for the croutons alone! They just melted in my mouth - they are so good. Loved the dressing and for such an easy salad it was outstanding. Thanks for sharing English_Rose. Made by an Unruly Under the Influence for ZWT6.
A brilliant little salad with lots of oooomph! I made is as posted and also added a few bits of blue Wensleydale to the Stilton, just cos' I had a chunk in the fridge! I did not use cream but used a little salad cream to mix with the mayo and cheese - gave it a tangy taste! I used smoked streaky bacon, as I have no back bacon at the moment and served it with baby salad leaves for a delectable lunch today. Made for ZWT6 and GB for the Whine and Cheese Gang, thanks ER! FT:-)
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I live in Manchester, UK with my fiance and young son. I work at the local hospital in pediatrics and love my job. I also love cooking!! I have a sweet tooth but try and make healthy family meals, I'm not against some lovely treats now and then though :)