Apple-Pear Salad With Lemon-Poppy Seed Dressing
photo by Baby Kato
- Ready In:
- 16 ounces romaine lettuce, thoroughly washed
- 6 ounces swiss cheese, block, shaved
- 1 cup roasted cashews, salted
- 1⁄2 cup dried sweetened cranberries
- 1 large apple, thinly sliced
- 1 large pear, thinly sliced
Lemon Poppy Seed Dressing
- 2⁄3 cup light olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped onions
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Toss together first 6 ingredients in a large bowl.
- Toss with Lemon Poppyseed dressing (recipe follows).
- Divide to individual chilled salad plates to serve.
Lemon Poppyseed Dressing:
- Process 2/3 cup light olive oil and remaining ingredients in a blender until smooth.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 1 week; serve at room temperature.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I used baby spring mix and chevre instead of romaine and swiss, and I LOVED this salad. The only other change I made was to substitute splenda instead of sugar to make it more lo-cal. What a great dressing, the salad was a huge hit at the potluck I went to. Thanks Bev, I will definitely make this again.
I made my apple and pear slices real thin and used along with a romaine and spinach combo. I loved all the different flavors in this salad and the dressing was a perfect accompaniment to my steak dinner. I can't wait to have this again this week. The pears I got were just right, which made them sweet and delicious, though they were nice and firm too. Outstanding would be the word for this one! One of the best salads I have ever had, and I have had many!
Bev this salad was outstanding. The flavouful dressing was very complimentary to all the ingredients in the salad, resulting in a real taste treat. I love pears, apples, swiss cheese, sweet onions, mustard and lemons; served all together this salad was the bomb, excellant flavour and great texture. Thanks so much for sharing this winner.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I joined Food.com when the site was RecipeZaar, April 24, 2001. This site has been a favorite with me for many years now with its unique features and especially for the many, many dear friends I have met here. If you are a new visitor, I hope you will stop for a while and check us out. I hope you will find it as special as I have.