MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 15mins
- 600 g lamb shoulder or 600 g beef shoulder
- 50 g split peas
- 6 small eggplants
- 3 medium onions
- 6 medium potatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- cooking oil
- black pepper
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- Peel and thinly slice onions. Fry in oil until slightly golden.
- Wash split peas and fry slightly with onions.
- Cut meat into small pieces, add to onions and split peas, and fry over medium heat until colour changes.
- Add salt, black pepper, and turmeric.
- Follow with six glasses of hot water and cook over low heat for about 30 minutes.
- The pot should be covered with a tight lid so that little steam escapes during cooking.
- Peel eggplants and cut perpendicular to their major axis to a thickness of 1 cm.
- Add a bit of salt and fry in oil over medium heat on both sides until colour changes.
- Wash and peel potatoes.
- Add eggplants, potatoes, and tomato paste.
- Cook over low heat with the pot again tightly covered for another 30 minutes. If necessary, add more hot water during cooking.
- When cooked, pour the juice into another container. With the back of a fork or spoon, fully crush the ingredients and mix well.
- Serve both the ingredients and the juice separately with Iranian, middle-eastern, or pita bread.
- Rice is not served with aab-goosht.
- When eating, cut bread into small pieces and briefly soak in the juice or form morsels by wrapping a small piece of bread around some of the food.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
this aubergine stew was delicious and easy to make. It's a well balanced dish and is very high in proteins. We enjoy Iranian or Persian food so much, and although not usual, I served this with a plain Basmati rice dish that we make frequently at home. Thank you so much for this gem, Chef#397624. I hope to enjoy many of your recipes!Reply