A1b Bacon Burger Bites on White Polenta Cakes #A1
photo by Jodi Taffel
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
16 mini burgers
FOR POLENTA CAKES
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 cup polenta
- 1⁄2 cup goat cheese
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 4 slices bacon
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1⁄4 cup A.1. Original Sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 4 slices sharp cheddar cheese, cut into 4 squares each
FOR POLENTA CAKES:
- Combine milk, water, cayenne and salt in a saucepan over low heat and bring to a boil.
- Using a whisk, add the polenta. Once the polenta is combined, switch to a wooden spoon and stir frequently until the polenta has become thick and smooth. Stir in the goat cheese. Keep stirring until all the goat cheese is melted and blended in to the polenta.
- Line a 9x13 pan with plastic wrap. Pour the polenta into the pan, cover with more plastic wrap and smooth the surface. Chill in the refrigerator overnight.
- When ready to use, remove the polenta from the pan. Using a cookie cutter approximately the same size as the burgers (I used a shot glass), cut 16 polenta cake rounds. add about 1 tablespoon of olive oil to a sauté pan over medium heat, and cook the polenta cakes on both sides until golden brown.
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Put brown sugar in a shallow bowl or pie plate. Coat the bacon liberally on both sides with the brown sugar. Place bacon on a parchment lined baking sheet and cook in the oven 20 minutes or until bacon is crisp. When the bacon is cool enough to touch, crumble it and set it aside.
- Add any leftover brown sugar to a bowl with the ground turkey, A1 sauce, and black pepper. Gently mix until all the ingredients are combined.
- Form the turkey mixture into 16 balls, roughly the same size. Flatten the balls into mini burger shapes. Poke each burger a few times with a toothpick. (This releases air and ensures the burgers don't shrink too much).
- Pre-heat a non-stickskillet over medium-high heat. Cook the burgers in two batches, 2 minutes per side. During the last 30 seconds, place 1 cheddar cheese square on each burger and put a lid on the pan (to melt the cheese).
- Place 1 burger on each polenta cake and top with some crumbled bacon. Serve hot.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
see 42 more reviews