4 hrs 20 mins
The first time I made this, my kids walked in from school, ooohhing and ahhhing at the delicious aroma. They were begging for "schnibbles"! Adapted from "The Dinner Doctor" cookbook, it has a great zippy flavor that the entire family will love!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (4 lb) beef brisket, trimmed of fat
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, seasoned with
- 1 pinch salt, and
- 1 pinch pepper
- 2 (1 1/4 ounce) packets onion soup mix
- 2 -3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans tomato soup
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar (could substitute red wine vinegar)
- 1Pat brisket dry with paper towels.
- 2Place flour in a shallow bowl and dredge meat.
- 3Shake off excess.
- 4Place meat in a 4-1/2 to 6-quart slow cooker.
- 5Combine onion soup mix, garlic, tomato soup and pepper in a small bowl with 1/2 cup of water and stir to combine.
- 6Pour over brisket.
- 7Cover the cooker and cook on high for 4-6 hours until quite tender.
- 8Remove meat to cutting board and let rest while completing gravy.
- 9Strain liquid from cooker, spooning off as much fat as possible.
- 10Add this liquid along with brown sugar and vinegar to a 2-quart saucepan and heat over medium heat, stirring until brown sugar melts.
- 11Cut meat against the grain and place in a 9 x 13" casserole dish.
- 12Pour finished gravy over meat.
- 13Cover casserole and heat in 325 degree oven for a minimum of 30 minutes.
- 14You can certainly lower the heat and leave in the oven longer.
- 15Sit back and enjoy the applause!
Browse Our Top Roast Beef Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Roast Beef Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Zippy Sweet & Sour Beef Brisket
Serving Size: 1 (330 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1098.0
- Calories from Fat 733
- Total Fat 81.4 g
- Saturated Fat 32.6 g
- Cholesterol 221.3 mg
- Sodium 1740.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 19.5 g
- Protein 54.3 g