Recipe by twinsplusonemom
The first time I made this, my kids walked in from school, ooohhing and ahhhing at the delicious aroma. They were begging for "schnibbles"! Adapted from "The Dinner Doctor" cookbook, it has a great zippy flavor that the entire family will love!
Top Review by scramrcooks
I used healthy request tomato soup and splenda brown sugar. I cut up yukon gold potatoes and carrots put them on the bottom of a crock pot and added meat and soup mixture. I cooked on high for 5 hours, seperated gravy and refrigerated it over night and removed as much solidified fat as possible. I put it all back in crock pot and added vinegar mixture,reheated on low. It was absolutely wonderful.
- 1 (4 lb) beef brisket, trimmed of fat
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour, seasoned with
- 1 pinch salt, and
- 1 pinch pepper
- 2 (1 1/4 ounce) packets onion soup mix
- 2 -3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans tomato soup
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar (could substitute red wine vinegar)
Directions See How It's Made
- Pat brisket dry with paper towels.
- Place flour in a shallow bowl and dredge meat.
- Shake off excess.
- Place meat in a 4-1/2 to 6-quart slow cooker.
- Combine onion soup mix, garlic, tomato soup and pepper in a small bowl with 1/2 cup of water and stir to combine.
- Pour over brisket.
- Cover the cooker and cook on high for 4-6 hours until quite tender.
- Remove meat to cutting board and let rest while completing gravy.
- Strain liquid from cooker, spooning off as much fat as possible.
- Add this liquid along with brown sugar and vinegar to a 2-quart saucepan and heat over medium heat, stirring until brown sugar melts.
- Cut meat against the grain and place in a 9 x 13" casserole dish.
- Pour finished gravy over meat.
- Cover casserole and heat in 325 degree oven for a minimum of 30 minutes.
- You can certainly lower the heat and leave in the oven longer.
- Sit back and enjoy the applause!