Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
The Wenatchee Valley is in the central part of Washington state and is the apple and pear capital of the Northwest. Cook time is chilling time. You could leave the chicken out and add more apple for a vegetarian version.
- 1 quart cold water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 red apples, unpeeled (cored and diced)
- 1 granny smith apple, unpeeled (cored and diced)
- 1 pear, unpeeled (firm green or red, cored and diced)
- 3 cups cooked chicken, diced (for vegetarian version, see description)
- 1 cup celery, thinly sliced
- 3⁄4 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped (or pecans)
- 1⁄2 cup dried sweetened cranberries
- lettuce, for serving
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Pour the cold water into a medium bowl, and mix in the 1 teaspoon of lemon juice. Add the diced fruit and allow to stand briefly.
- In a large bowl, mix the chicken, celery, walnuts and dried cranberries. Drain and add the diced apples, mixing well.
- In a small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, sour cream, 2 tablespoons lemon juice and parsley.
- Add to the chicken mixture and gently toss to coat.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and chill thoroughly before serving.
- To serve place some lettuce leaves on each plate on top with salad.
This salad is absolutely delicious! I used all organic fruits and added a little more cranberries and walnuts - just my preference. The only change I made to the dressing was to add a tsp. of curry powder just to bump up the mayo and sour cream taste and I used a little lemon pepper. Sooo worth the effort -- wonderful results! Made for PRMR tag, May, 2013.