Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
From the cookbook "Raising the Salad Bar" with a few changes.
Make and share this Wasabi Coleslaw recipe from Food.com.
- 6 cups green cabbage (approximately 1/2 head) or 6 cups savoy cabbage, thinly sliced (approximately 1/2 head)
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 1⁄2 cup red cabbage, shredded (my addition)
- 4 tablespoons green onions, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro, minced (my addition)
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons water
- 5 teaspoons wasabi powder
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar or 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar (is using rice wine vinegar omit sugar)
- 1⁄3 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup grapeseed oil or 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- black sesame seed (optional)
- In a small bowl combine the water and wasabi powder. Mix until a paste forms. Set aside.
- In another small non-reactive bowl whisk together the vinegar and sugar until the sugar dissolves.
- Whisk in the mayonnaise and oil.
- Add the wasabi paste, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Important: *Allow mixture to stand 10-15 minutes.*.
- In a large salad bowl, combine the cabbage, carrots, scallions and cilantro if using.
- Just before serving the salad, add the dressing and stir well to combine.
- Garnish with a sprinkle of black sesame seeds, if desired.
Delicious! I just changed a few things to suit what I had available, using some red onion for color instead of the red cabbage and a handful of mixed fresh herbs rather than the cilantro. One thing I really liked about the dressing was it had a nice tang so the fairly small amount in the recipe was a perfect amount and it wasn't smothered in mayonnaise.
This is a very different coleslaw than what I'm used to. It's great. But it was way too spicy for me. But for DH it was not too spicy for him LOL I'd have to reduce the wasabi next time. I used only green cabbage, carrots and green onions. Maybe I should have added sugar even if I used rice wine vinegar. Thanks Cookgirl :) Made for Ramadan tag game