Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This was another old fashioned favorite of my MIL's. You can assemble this ahead, and then bake it later. You could use the same sauce with different vegetables and I suppose you could add some cooked chicken to it, also.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup evaporated milk
- 1 (10 1/3 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1⁄2 cup instant rice
- 1⁄2 cup Velveeta cheese, chunked
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped broccoli, thawed and drained
- 1⁄2 cup saltine, crushed and buttered
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat, add onions and cook until tender.
- Add water, evaporated milk, soup, rice, and cheese.
- Cook until cheese melts.
- Add broccoli.
- Put mixture into casserole.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes.
- Top with buttered crushed saltines and bake for another 5 minutes, or until topping is crunchy.
Yummy! We really enjoyed this dish. Rice and broccoli is always a winner in this house and this was no exception! I did use lactose free 2% milk in place of evaporated milk, otherwise made as directed. Thanks for a delicious easy to make side! Had with salmon cakes. Made for Everyday is a Holiday
This was cheesy good!! I subbed cheddar cheese for the velveeta and townhouse crackers for the saltines. DH loved it. Tagged for the 8th Edition-Make My Recipe Event.
WiGal, this was outstanding! My little girl was begging me for more. She really LOVED it and so did DH. I used a package of Uncle Ben's parmesan and garlic rice mix because I realized at the last minute that we were out of plain rice plus I used regular shredded cheddar cheese because I don't really buy Velveeta. Next time I'll do it the same way because it was absolutely devine!!! It is a keeper for sure. THANK YOU for posting this. Made for 123 Hit Wonders.