Recipe by WiGal
This was another old fashioned favorite of my MIL's. You can assemble this ahead, and then bake it later. You could use the same sauce with different vegetables and I suppose you could add some cooked chicken to it, also.
Top Review by kittycatmom
Yummy! We really enjoyed this dish. Rice and broccoli is always a winner in this house and this was no exception! I did use lactose free 2% milk in place of evaporated milk, otherwise made as directed. Thanks for a delicious easy to make side! Had with salmon cakes. Made for Everyday is a Holiday
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup evaporated milk
- 1 (10 1/3 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1⁄2 cup instant rice
- 1⁄2 cup Velveeta cheese, chunked
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped broccoli, thawed and drained
- 1⁄2 cup saltine, crushed and buttered
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat, add onions and cook until tender.
- Add water, evaporated milk, soup, rice, and cheese.
- Cook until cheese melts.
- Add broccoli.
- Put mixture into casserole.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes.
- Top with buttered crushed saltines and bake for another 5 minutes, or until topping is crunchy.