Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
After countless attempt of trying to make the traditional bloomin onion recipes, I came up with this one. Friends always request this when they know I am coming to a get together. It takes a little extra work but it is so worth it! I never bring any leftovers home.
- 2 large vidalia onions or 2 large any sweet onions
- 1 (10 ounce) boxgoldin dipt fish 'n chips batter frying mix, plus
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1 package ranch dip mix
- 1 (16 ounce) carton sour cream
- vegetable oil
- Mix together the ranch dip and the sour cream and set aside in the refrigerator.
- Cut the root and stem off each onion and peel, Cut each onion in half slicing thru the center of the onion.
- Cut each half into 4 pieces.
- Separate the onion pieces.
- Mix the batter with the 1 1/4 cup water.
- Heat oil in a deep fryer or skillet.
- Dip each piece of onion in the batter and fry in hot oil until lightly browned.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Arrange onion in a bowl in the fashion of a bloomin onion.
- I find it easier to arrange the pieces around a smaller bowl in the center for the dip.
- Add the dip last.