From Raw Food Celebrations - Party Menus for Every Occasion by Nomi Shannon and Sheryl Duruz. It's due back to the library tomorrow and this looks good! (It says to soak the vanilla extract, but I think that may be a mistake. I will try adding it later.) Cooking time is soaking time.
- Soak Brazil nuts in water to cover 8-12 hours.
- In separate bowl, soak dates and vanill beans (or extract) together in water to cover 8-12 hours.
- Drain Brazil nuts, rinse, and drain again.
- Remove dates and vanilla from water and add enough more water to equal 10 cups.
- Pour water into blender, add nuts, and process til smooth.
- Add dates, vanilla, and cinnamon to blender and process til smooth, scraping down the sides occasionally with a spatula.
- The mixture will be thick. If you want it thinner, add more water and process again.
- Taste and add more dates, vanilla, or cinnamon if desired and blend again til smooth.
- Place a nut milk bag in a large bowl, pour in the nog in batches and gently squeeze out the liquid. Pour into clear cups and dust with nutmeg.
- NOTE: if you don't have a high-speed blender, make the nog in small batches. Here is the ratio for 1-2 servings:.
- 1/2 c Brazil nuts (soaked 8-12 hours).
- 4 pitted Medjool dates AND.
- 1/2 vanilla bean or 1 tsp extract(soaked with dates 8-12 hours).
- a pinch of cinnamon.
- enough water added to the date soaking water to equal 1 cup.