Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
This recipe comes from my aunt and it is the smoothest, creamiest, yummiest chocolate cream pie you will ever eat! The recipe can be adapted to make other cream pies, such as banana and coconut.
- In top of double-boiler mix sugar, flour and salt.
- Whisk in 1 cup of the milk until smooth.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring briskly.
- Continue to stir and let boil until smoothly thickened (about 2 minutes).
- Remove from heat.
- With fork, beat eggs with remaining 1 cup of milk.
- Gradually stir into hot mixture.
- Return to heat and bring to a boil.
- Stir and boil until mixture thickens (about 1 minute).
- Remove from heat and stir in margarine and vanilla.
- Add 1/2 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips and stir until melted.
- Spoon into prepared pie crust and cool.
- Serve with real whipped cream.
- For banana cream pie, omit chocolate chips, and slice 2 or 3 bananas into bottom of prepared pie crust and top with the pudding.
- For coconut cream pie, omit chocolate chips, and stir in 1/2 cup of coconut.
- I've never tried this, but it's on my list of things to do: stir in 1/2 cup of peanut butter (or peanut butter chips, I guess) for peanut butter cream pie (omitting the chocolate chips).
Followed this recipe exactly; the pie is yummy and definitely improves with age and chilling time. When first tasted, it hadn't quite set up and wasn't that delicious. Fully chilled (overnight) it is much better. It leans a little toward the sweet side and not so much the chocolatey side. I used a vanilla wafer crust. Whipped cream on this pie really boosts its appeal a lot! Thanks for posting.
This was my savior when the other 2 chocolate cream pies I made did not set and I was out of the condensed milk the recipe called for...this pie is great! I did not use chocolate chips, but cocoa and a bit extra sugar and it was perfect! Delicious with whipped cream, but if you want a strong chocolate flavor, there's no need. Set up almost instantly and perfect; I covered the top with plastic wrap. Loved this recipe, will use again!
So good!! Great flavor and it set up perfectly. I didn't have a double-boiler so I made this on the stove top and it came out great. Loved this pie! Thank you CrystalB!