Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a really flavourful piece of meat! Served atop arugula, the juices wilt the greens and what you get is the most unbelievable warm salad. A winner.
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 4 boneless strip steaks, 1 to 1 1/4 inches thick
- 8 cups loosely packed arugula, washed and dried
- 3 ounces parmesan cheese, cut into thin shavings
- Whisk together the 5 tblsps olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, parsley, oregano and a pinch each of salt and pepper in a small bowl until smooth.
- Heat the 1 tsp olive oil in a large, cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat until smoking.
- Meanwhile, season the steaks liberally with salt and pepper.
- Lay the steaks in the pan and cook, without moving, until a well-browned crust forms, about 5 to 6 minutes.
- Using tongs, flip the steaks.
- Reduce the heat to medium.
- Cook 3 to 4 minutes more for rare or 5 to 6 minutes for medium-rare.
- Divide the arugula evenly among 4 individual plates.
- Cut each steak crosswise into thin strips and arrange the steak over the arugula.
- Drizzle any juices that have collected from the meat over the greens.
- Rewhisk the dressing and drizzle it over the steak and greens.
- Sprinkle with the Parmesan and serve immediately.
Delicious! My daughters don't like steak so I did two steaks and two chicken breast halves. Also, I used mixed wild greens for the arugula, due to the unavailability of the latter. I also doubled the dressing. We liked this so much and my family has asked that I do this again. Thanks Ev, this is definitely a keeper!
We enjoyed this steak dinner as a incredibly satisfying Valentine's dinner this evening, followed by chocolates and strawberries.I left out the garlic and oregano, not having any fresh. I couldn't resist scraping up the fond and add it to the dressing. It was so good.
Wonderful recipe. Have made it twice on our electric grill. First time I used fresh basil instead of fresh oregano, and it was delicious. This time didn't have oregano or basil so tried a reduced quantity of mint. My wife and I like this so much that I made up extra sauce for an easy meal during the week.