Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a traditional cake from Ticino Switzerland.
- 1 loaf French bread (about 1 pound) or 1 loaf Italian bread, slightly stale and cut into 1/2 inch cubes (about 1 pound)
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 quart milk
- 6 large eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole almond, ground in food processor
- 2 cups dark raisins
- blanched almonds and pine nuts, for topping (whole)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- confectioners' sugar, for finishing
- Grease a 10 inch round cake pan.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees with rack in middle of oven.
- Put the bread cubes in a food processor and pulse to make 1/8 inch crumbs.
- Put crumbs in large mixing bowl with lemon zest.
- Bring the milk to a simmer over medium heat and then pour over the bread to cover it completely.
- Let mixture stand for 10 minutes so the bread absorbs the milk.
- In another large bowl whisk the eggs and then add the sugar in a stream.
- Then whisk in the cinnamon, cocoa, nutmeg and vanilla.
- Stir the bread soaked mixture into this.
- Stir in the ground almonds and raisins.
- Scrape batter into prepared pan and smooth the top.
- Decorate with the almonds and pine nuts in a symmetrical pattern.
- Dot the top of the batter with the butter.
- Place the pan in the oven and immediately lower heat to 350 degrees.
- Bake the cake until it is a deep golden and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean, about an hour.
- Cool the cake in the pan, on a rack.
- Invert cake onto rack and then invert again onto platter.
- Dust cake with confectioner's sugar before serving.
DD and my BF gave this 5 stars. I was not sure what to expect from this recipe but it was a big hit with them . I will try it tomorrow. They tried it hot and I will try it cold. Ingredients are the types to usually be on hand and it is an easy recipe to follow. I love anything rustic so this had immediate appeal for me and it sure looks and smell delish !