Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
The only cooking done here is the pasta. Pasta salads are usually loaded with fat. This is a "heart healthy" low cal pasta salad. This is a good summer pasta salad for a barbeque or a picnic.
- 1 (28 ounce) can plum tomatoes, drained
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄3 cup light mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 cup buttermilk (or 2% milk)
- 1 lb fusilli, or other stout pasta
- 1 large tomatoes, diced
- 3 teaspoons fresh basil, chopped (or other herb of your choice)
- Completely puree tomato in a food processor.
- Add sugar, garlic, mayo, salt, pepper& buttermilk.
- Process until smooth.
- Boil pasta until al dente.
- Drain and rinse under cold water.
- Combine pasta with dressing in large bowl.
- Top with diced tomato and basil.
- Let sit in fridge for 30 minutes at least.
I picked this recipe for Recipe Roulette(in Everything Else), and I'm so glad I tried it. I served it to some finicky eaters who said they didn't like most pasta salads. But! They loved this salad! I used a little less tomato puree than called for(I made my own by just pureeing some roma tomatoes), and milk instead of buttermilk. I also added olives, some minced red onion, and minced cubanelle peppers. Thanks for a nice change of pace!
I made this for a shower, made it the night before, it was a great hit! I think leaving it overnight really enhanced the flavours. I used 2% milk and bow tie pasta. Everyone commented on how good the dressing was, different from the useual. Had to make severel copies of the recipe. Thanks Tebo!!
This was so good! A great basic recipe. I did tweak it a bit, like everyone else, but not as much as everyone else. Since they said it was too much sauce. I halved the recipe but put in 3 cloves of garlic and 1/2 tsp salt. Instead of adding basil at end, I put in two large leaves before blending. I didn't have a fresh tomato so I put in a little chopped sun dried tomato after blending. Yum Yum Yum!!!!! Would make a great main course with shrimp or chicken. Also, instead of waiting overnight for flavors to meld I nuked it for 2 minutes - speed melding!