Recipe by Tebo
The only cooking done here is the pasta. Pasta salads are usually loaded with fat. This is a "heart healthy" low cal pasta salad. This is a good summer pasta salad for a barbeque or a picnic.
Top Review by Sharon123
I picked this recipe for Recipe Roulette(in Everything Else), and I'm so glad I tried it. I served it to some finicky eaters who said they didn't like most pasta salads. But! They loved this salad! I used a little less tomato puree than called for(I made my own by just pureeing some roma tomatoes), and milk instead of buttermilk. I also added olives, some minced red onion, and minced cubanelle peppers. Thanks for a nice change of pace!
- 1 (28 ounce) can plum tomatoes, drained
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄3 cup light mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 cup buttermilk (or 2% milk)
- 1 lb fusilli, or other stout pasta
- 1 large tomatoes, diced
- 3 teaspoons fresh basil, chopped (or other herb of your choice)
Directions See How It's Made
- Completely puree tomato in a food processor.
- Add sugar, garlic, mayo, salt, pepper& buttermilk.
- Process until smooth.
- Boil pasta until al dente.
- Drain and rinse under cold water.
- Combine pasta with dressing in large bowl.
- Top with diced tomato and basil.
- Let sit in fridge for 30 minutes at least.