Prep 2 mins
Cook 5 mins
A very quick and easy breakfast treat for vegetarians (vegan if you use oil). Smokey, salty and crispy strips of tofu for the former bacon lover. (Of course tofu will never taste the same as bacon, but if you give this a try you may well be pleasantly surprised!)
- 1 -2 tablespoon butter (for frying) or 1 -2 tablespoon oil (for frying)
- 1 (350 g) package extra firm tofu
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (or to taste) or 2 tablespoons tamari (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon liquid smoke (or to taste)
- maple syrup (optional)
- Heat frying pan over medium high heat.
- Add butter or oil.
- Thinly slice tofu into strips. The thinner you slice these, the more flavour they will absorb and the better they will crisp up.
- Place tofu in the pan in a single layer.
- Sprinkle evenly with soy sauce (or tamari) and liquid smoke. You can give the pan a little shake to coat evenly, but it should spread well.
- Fry the tofu until browned and crispy on both sides, turning occasionally. The more you cook it, the crisper it will be, the better it will taste.
- Optional - drizzle a little maple syrup over tofu once cooked.
- Serve with pancakes, eggs or in a "B".L.T. Enjoy!