10 hrs 30 mins
I've made many Pernil's. Most were good, some great, but this is the ONE! It can't get any better, I promise! What makes this Pernil rise above the rest is the combination of the soy sauce in the marinade, and the low and slow roasting. Note: This is not a weeknight meal, I recommend seasoning your Pernil on a Friday night, maybe over some cocktails ;=) And start roasting early (really early) Sunday morning. The pernil will cook for about 10 hours, Your house will smell like heaven all day long!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 -7 lbs pork shoulder (bone in pernil)
- 4 limes, juiced
- 15 garlic cloves, mashed in a mortar and pestle (add a tsp. salt to help mash garlic)
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 5 tablespoons goya light adobo seasoning
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup vinegar
- 1Make the marinade:.
- 2In medium bowl, combine garlic, lime juice, oregano, 3 tbs. adobo, soy sauce, olive oil and black pepper. Set aside.
- 3Wash the pernil in vinegar and water, pat dry with paper towel.
- 4Place on a cutting board fat side up.
- 5Leaving the fat in a single piece and attached at one end, use a knife to remove the layer of fat from the shoulder, opening it like a book to reveal the meat. Then, use the knife to poke 1-inch deep holes into the meat on all sides (about 20 holes).
- 6Place pernil in roasting pan fat side up. Rub the marinade all over the pernil, making sure you work it into to the holes. Return the fat back to its original position. Score the fat with diagonal cuts and sprinkle the remaining adobo over the fat.
- 7Cover tightly with aluminum foil. Refrigerate for 24 to 48 hours.
- 8On day of Cooking:.
- 9Remove pernil from refrigerator 45 minutes before roasting.
- 10Preheat oven to 475 degrees F.
- 11Add a little water to the roasting pan so that it comes up about 1/2 inch up the sides.
- 12Cook pernil uncovered for 1 hour. Turn oven temperature down to 225 degrees F, tent pernil loosely with aluminum foil, and cook for 8 hours. Remove foil and cook for 1 hour.
- 13Let pernil rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for The Best Puerto Rican Pernil (Pork Shoulder) You Will Ever Have!
Serving Size: 1 (563 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1729.2
- Calories from Fat 1165
- Total Fat 129.4 g
- Saturated Fat 43.4 g
- Cholesterol 483.0 mg
- Sodium 1452.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 1.6 g
- Protein 120.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: