Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
From: “The Africa Kitchen” by Josie Stow and Jan Baldwin.
Make and share this Tanzanian Pineapple Salad recipe from Food.com.
- 3 large pineapple
- 2⁄3 cup cashew nuts
- 1⁄2 cup coconut, slivers
- 1 cup cream
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 1 1⁄2-3 ounces white rum (to taste, 1-2 shots)
- Peel the pineapples and cut the flesh into cubes.
- In a dry frying pan, toast separately the cashews and coconut until lightly browned, then set aside to cool.
- Mix together the cream, honey and rum to taste and pour this mixture over the pineapple cubes.
- Reserve some of the toasted cashews and coconut to use a garnish, then add the remainder to the pineapple.
- Mix well and place in the refrigerator to chill.
- Before serving, garnish with the reserved cashews and coconut slivers.
Really refreshing! I made mine with just a little more coconut and nuts and used macadamias instead of cashews since I don't know where my cashews got off to. I also went a little lighter on the rum, and used half and half to top the fruit. Made for ZWT4 Kumquat's Kookin' Kaboodles. ~Sue
Seeing CaliforniaJan's photo had me making this one - made a scaled down version which has me knowing this one is company quality. Can't wait to make it for family and friends! Other then not having access to a fresh coconut I made as posted (used flaked coconut as I do in many of my fruit salads.) Loved it!! ZWT 4.
Great combination of flavors! I modified the proportions by using two pineapples only and doubling the amount of cashews and coconut. I made the full amount of cream sauce, but used slightly less once I mixed everything. I took this to a family gathering and everyone really liked this fresh and different fruit salad. The recipe didn't indicate what type of coconut- so I used fresh coconut that I shredded and toasted myself. Prepared for ZWT4. Thanks for sharing!