Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Created for RSC #9. I love Sloppy Joes for a hot lunch. This version adds a little something different.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 orange, juice of (about 1/4 cup)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- In a large skillet brown ground beef and onion over medium heat.
- Drain off excess fat.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients until well blended.
- Cover and simmer over low heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot on your favorite buns or bread.
Made these for DD & DH one night for dinner and they really enjoyed them. I did have to leave the lid off while simmering in order to get the sauce to thicken up. The orange juice gave this a little bit of a different flavor, but it was good. Thanks for posting this recipe Kelly.
I had such high hopes for this recipe, but he feedback from my family was so-so. I think the recipe is good, but my family prefers a tangy/spicy sauce rather than a sweet recipe -- who knew!
These were tasty and easy to make. Hubbie and I thought they were a little too sweet-we like things on the spicier side at