Top Review by CaryLPC
I tried the recipe last night; it's fabulous!So much better than commercial products. Since my hair is short, I used 1/4 cup mayo, 1 tablespoon olive oil and one egg.( I think using 1/8 cup mayo would have been plenty.) I added a few drops of lavendar essential oil to the mix. I plastered my hair with it and put on a plastic shower cap. Over that I put on a hair towel and slept with that on. It stayed on about 12 hours and then I rinsed it out. I shampooed twice, as I wanted to make sure I got the mixture out. I used some bottled hair conditioner, just to make it easier to comb through wet. I dried and styled my hair and it feels great. It's a lot softer and I have less dry pieces and frizzies all around. My hair is thick, coarse and color-treated. No other conditioner or hair oil has helped. I highly recommend this recipe! :)
- 1 cup mayonnaise (room temperature if possible, like from a jar of brand new mayo just off the grocery store shelf)
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 3 egg yolks
Directions See How It's Made
- Blend all ingredients together in a bowl.
- * If possible use room temperature mayo - if not, let mixture warm up to room temperature*. **If you are in a rush and just can't wait - microwave the mayo for 15 seconds - but be careful - if you nuke it too long it begins to separate**.
- Apply thoroughly through your hair adding extra at the ends.
- Pile on top of your head and cover with a plastic shower cap and then cover with a towel to keep in the heat from your head.
- Leave on for at least 10-20 minutes and then rinse out.
- Should make 1 to 2 hair treatments depending on the length of your hair.
- If you don't want to save the left over for another treatment use whatever is left over as a moisturizing face mask. Also can be used on dry elbow and knees (for best results, this should be used immediately after making and not saved. It will still work, but won't be as effective as when it's fresh).
- Do NOT shampoo afterwards, just rinse it really well. Do this on a day when you are not going to go out. Any oil that clings to your hair after you rinse it out, will continue to condition your hair until the next time you shampoo it out.
- *** for best hair conditioning purposes, use immediately after making without refrigerating first. The reason is, the fats and oil will penetrate your hair follicles better if it is not cold. Tip to remember for all hair care: Warm/Hot opens the hair follicles so that conditioner can penetrate deeper. And cold water closes the hair follicles. So after you shower your hair, after you rinse every thing out, rinse again with a blast of very cold water. The coldest you can possibly stand. This cold water blast will also make your hair super shiny!***.