Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
This recipe is from Jacques Pepin's Fast Food My Way. It's such a simple but elegant (and tasty) dessert, and requires no cooking. He says that panachee is a mixture of two or more ingredients with different colors, flavors, or shapes. This recipe is very flexible. You can substitute similar ingredients as noted. The berry puree can be made a few hours ahead of time, and the assembly, which only takes a few minutes, can be done just before serving.
- 2 1⁄2 cups ripe strawberries, hulled (or other fresh berries)
- 1⁄4 cup strawberry jam (or raspberry or currant jam)
- 4 shortbread cookies (or other cookies like almond cookies)
- 2⁄3 cup creme fraiche, divided (or sour cream, or quark)
- 4 sprigs of fresh mint (or basil)
- Cut off the bottom and top of each berry, ending up with about 1 1/4 cups of tops and bottoms. Slice the centers of the berries and set aside.
- Process the tops and bottoms of the berries with the jam, in a small food processor, until pureed. Mix the sliced berry centers into the puree. Cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- When ready to serve, coarsely crush the cookies in a plastic zip type bag. Divide the crumbs among four glass bowls or goblets. Spoon about 1/2 of the berry mixture over the crumbs in each bowl/goblet. Stir the creme fraiche well and spoon about 1/3 cup of it (in total) on top of the berries. Then add the remaining berry mixture to each bowl/goblet. Garnish with a dollop of the remaining creme fraiche and a sprig of fresh mint.
Great little dessert. Light and fresh yet you feel like you've had a dessert! Easy to throw together after a heavy meal. Thanks PanNan! Made for ZWT8 trip to France.
This is really good and so simple. The only change I made was I added a little sugar to the sour cream, just because I thought it would be a little bland. I guess it really didn't need it, but it was still really refreshing and yummy! Made for ZWT5 - Epicurean Queens
This was so simple to make and the taste was delicious! I couldn't resist going abit heavy on the shortbread crumbs though! They were tasty! ;) I wasn't sure abut the sour cream but it really added abit of zing to this! Going to be a summer favorite!!! Thanks for posting! Made for ZWT 5