Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
I could not believe that there wasn't a recipe for Speculoos on the Zaar. Did a search while I was crunching down on a couple of them - the others I saved to dunk into my coffee. To my mind, there is no better cookie to enjoy with a cup of (very good) coffee. Thin, crunchy, spicy. They are perfection. Be sure to roll the dough out very thin (I'd say about 1/8th of an inch. Adapted from a recipe found on epicurious (I like my speculoos spicier).
- Combine flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger and cloves in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Cream brown sugar and butter together in a large bowl. Add the egg and beat until fluffy. Add the dry ingredients gradually and mix until combined.
- Divide the dough in two halves. Flatten each half and wrap with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°F Grease two baking sheets. Lightly flour a work surface and your rolling pin. Roll out each dough piece until very thin. Cut cookies with a cookie cutter, roll out remaining dough and cut again. Repeat with the second dough piece.
- Put cookies on the baking sheets and bake until the edges start to darken, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a rack and cool.