I could not believe that there wasn't a recipe for Speculoos on the Zaar. Did a search while I was crunching down on a couple of them - the others I saved to dunk into my coffee. To my mind, there is no better cookie to enjoy with a cup of (very good) coffee. Thin, crunchy, spicy. They are perfection. Be sure to roll the dough out very thin (I'd say about 1/8th of an inch. Adapted from a recipe found on epicurious (I like my speculoos spicier).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Combine flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger and cloves in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- 2Cream brown sugar and butter together in a large bowl. Add the egg and beat until fluffy. Add the dry ingredients gradually and mix until combined.
- 3Divide the dough in two halves. Flatten each half and wrap with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- 4Preheat oven to 350°F Grease two baking sheets. Lightly flour a work surface and your rolling pin. Roll out each dough piece until very thin. Cut cookies with a cookie cutter, roll out remaining dough and cut again. Repeat with the second dough piece.
- 5Put cookies on the baking sheets and bake until the edges start to darken, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a rack and cool.
Browse Our Top Rolled Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Speculoos (A Flemish Spice Cookie)
Serving Size: 1 (712 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 719.9
- Calories from Fat 225
- Total Fat 25.0 g
- Saturated Fat 15.1 g
- Cholesterol 113.8 mg
- Sodium 386.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 117.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 66.5 g
- Protein 8.4 g