Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
An easy hamburger steak recipe, smothered in brown gravy. Good comfort food!
- ground beef (can use lean ground round)
- 1 (8 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup water (1/2 to 1 cup) or 1 cup milk (1/2 to 1 cup)
- 1 (1 ounce) package brown gravy mix (packet size varies)
- Dice onion and add to the ground beef. (If using onion soup mix, blend well in ground beef.).
- Mix and form into patties.
- Fry the patties in skillet on medium heat until cooked to your liking.
- I usually fry until they are medium-well to well done.
- While patties are cooking, mix 1 can cream of mushroom soup, 1/2 to 1 cup water or milk, and brown gravy packet/mix in a bowl, stirring well.
- After patties are browned and ready, add the soup mixture to the skillet. Reduce heat to simmer; spread the mixture over the patties and turn them once or twice as the mixture warms.
- Stir mixture occasionally.
- Simmer for 5 to 10 minutes or until gravy is good and hot.
- Serve with mashed potatoes, your choice of veggies, a good salad, hot rolls or bread, and a cold glass of iced tea.
- Of course, this recipe can be doubled. Serving size depends on how hungry your family or company is! ;).
- Kind of a "blue-plate" special!
This was SO good, my favorite salisbury steak recipe by far. I put 1/2 a package dried onion soup in with the burger, and the rest in with the sauce. After browing the patties, I removed them then fried 1/2 lb sliced mushrooms in the drippings plus a bit of butter. (My ground beef was very lean.) I added the rest of the ingredients, simmered until thick, then returned the patties to the pan. I then topped each patty with a slice of colby cheese which finished it perfectly! I served on buttered noodles, but I think potatoes would go better with the gravy. All 3 of my kids enjoyed it too.
My husband said that if this was/were on a menu in a restaurant he would order it every time! I did use 1 package of onion soup mix and I did add a jar of sliced mushrooms to the gravy. Served with noodles, steamed broccoli, and pickled baby beets. Thank you for a very good recipe. It is a "keeper".
Easy recipe for simple comfort food. I used onion soup mix in the ground beef and probably more than 1 cup of water in my gravy. The meal was tasty, and we chose to ladle our gravy over buttered egg noodles. Roasted green beans were a nice side.