An Irish recipe that is just too good not to share. It comes from an old book, "The Best of Ireland". This is made with chunks of salmon with eggs, mushrooms and rice in a flaky pastry and it so tasty! Serve with hollandaise sauce and some steamed vegetables. It looks a lot harder than it is.
- Preheat oven to 200 degreesC.
- Place the salmon into a saucepan with just enough water to cover it.
- Poach gently for 10 minutes, until just cooked.
- Drain and leave to cool.
- Roughly chop the mushrooms and finely slice the green onions.
- Melt the butter and cook the mushrooms and onions for 2 to 3 minutes and remove them to a bowl.
- Flake the salmon and add to the bowl.
- Chop the hard boiled eggs and add to the bowl, together with the rice.
- Stir in the lemon juice and season well with salt and pepper.
- Roll out the thawed pastry to a rectangle about 12 x 14.
- Brush the edges with beaten egg.
- Spoon the salmon/rice filling into the center.
- Join the edges and seal the ends and sides with beaten egg.
- Score the top with a knife and brush with the remaining egg.
- Bake for 30 minutes, until golden.
- Serve hot or leave to cool completely and serve cold.