Prep 10 mins
Cook 12 mins
My mother's "real" Russian Tea Cookie recipe
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour, not self-rising
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup walnuts, finally chopped
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Mix thoroughly butter, sugar and vanilla.
- Work in flour, salt and nuts until the dough holds together.
- Shape the dough into 1 inch balls and place them on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake 12 - 15 mnutes until set but not brown.
- While warm, roll in confectioners' sugar. Cool and roll in sugar again.
Excellent cookie. I have made these for years! It is easier to handle the dough if you refrigerate the dough for 10 minutes (for best results an hour). Thanks for posting!
These are really good cookies. Needed a Russian cookie for my sons project at school and tried these. I wish the recipe had made more for us to keep some at home! The only problem I ran into, and only because I didn't read the entire recipe beforehand, was the confectioners sugar measurement. I added the half cup of sugar to the batter, then noticed the instructions after the cookies are baked, to roll the cookies in confectioner's sugar. I then put about 3/4 cup sugar in a bowl for rolling. I became worried that I was maybe supposed to set some aside from the 1/2 measurement. They turned out great with the 1/2 sugar added to the batter, but the recipe could have been a tad more clear on the sugar measurements. Otherwise, great cookie! Oh , and I used pecans because I had them in the house. I just wanted to add, that after my son came home yesterday, he had a few recipe requests for this cookie from teachers and students. So it was a hit!