1/3 Photos of Russian Style Salad(Salat Olivier)
This is a popular cold dish in Russia, but was actually crated by a Frenchman, Monsieur Olivier, at his Moscow restaurant, L'Ermitage, in the late 1800's. He then went on to cook for Russia's last czar, Nicholas ll. The original recipe called for 6-8 oz. chicken,diced, but I have left it out, to make this vegetarian. Feel free to add the chicken back in, if you like!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 medium waxy potatoes
- 3 carrots, trimmed
- 1/4 cup sweet onion, chopped
- 1 cucumber, seeded, diced
- 1 large deli style pickle, diced
- 1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed (or canned, drained peas)
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, peeled, diced
- 4 sprigs fresh dill, chopped (or 1 tsp. dried)
- 6 sprigs parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1Place the potatoes and carrots into a medium saucepan, cover with cold water, and gently boil over medium heat until tender, about 30 minutes for the potato and 20 minutes for the carrots.
- 2Move vegetables as done to a plate and let cool completely.
- 3Discard cooking water.
- 4Peel the potato and carrots and cut each into 1/4" dice.
- 5Transfer vegetables to a large bowl.
- 6Add onions, cucumbers, pickles, peas, eggs, dill, paarsley, mayonnaise, and vinegar to the bowl and stir until well combined.
- 7Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 8Cover and refrigerate until well chilled.
- 9Adjust seasonings.
- 10Transfer to a serving dish. Enjoy!
Browse Our Top Egg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Russian Style Salad(Salat Olivier)
Serving Size: 1 (1259 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 286.9
- Calories from Fat 116
- Total Fat 12.8 g
- Saturated Fat 2.3 g
- Cholesterol 100.8 mg
- Sodium 594.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.3 g
- Sugars 8.1 g
- Protein 7.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
white wine vinegar