Prep 40 mins
Cook 0 mins
Created by: Robert Mondavi Winery Chef Sarah Scott A very elegant, creamy dessert. If I want to use a large mold I double the amount of gelatin so the dessert stays firm for unmolding!
- 2 teaspoons gelatin powder
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 4 lemons, juice and zest of, zest chopped, juice reserved
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2⁄3 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine the lemon juice and 1/4 cup of the sugar in a heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat and cook until a thick syrup forms, about 10 minutes.
- Combine the cream, the remaining 1/2 cup sugar and lemon zest in a heavy saucepan.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, Sprinkle the gelatin over 1 cup of the buttermilk in the top of a double boiler. Let sit until the gelatin softens, about 5 minutes.
- Remove the cream mixture from the heat and add the lemon juice mixture. Add to the gelatin mixture and set over hot water. Whisk until the gelatin dissolves. Add the remaining buttermilk and vanilla.
- Strain through a sieve and pour into six 4-ounce ramekins. Refrigerate until set, at least 4 hours.
Loved the dessert. However, there is a discrepancy in the recipe. The ingredient list calls for 2 cups buttermilk, but the directions only ask for 1.5 cups.