tasty roast pork, Puerto Rican style, Marine overnight. This is every Puerto Rican party dish. If there is no pernil in the party there is no party, especially the hard skin!! That is to die for. When I was a little girl and woke up to the smell of the pernil, I knew something special was happening that day.
- The night before peel garlic and with a Pilón mash it to a past then combine all the ingredients and whisk then set it aside.
- Rinse pork in warm water and stab 1 inch slits in the pork (the more stabs the more taste). Place it in the roasting pan skin side down rub the seasoning to the pork and also insert some in the slits. Cover and refrigerate.
- This takes about 4 to 5 hours to cook depending in size and your oven so you must time yourself on the time you want it done. We normally start this the next morning (8 am the latest) to get it out the way and cook other dishes.
- For the first 2 hours set oven at 275°F and cook covered. After 2 hours turn pork over and set oven at 350°F continue cooking for 2+ more hours uncovered,.
- TIP: Check every ½ to 1 hour and poke with roasting fork. You will feel the difference as the pernil cooks.
- Before serving make sure your juices are clear and the skin is nice and hard.